Alassio what to visit
A rustic stone wall, situated in front of the town hall of the city, characterized by the application of irregular and colourful tiles holding the autographs of celebrities from the world of culture, sport and entertainment, such as Hemingway, Coppi, Bartali, and the national football team who won the World Cup in 1982, etc.
It goes without saying that Alassio is also the city of lovers. Here you can find the wall with the famous "Les amoureaux", a work accomplished by Raymond Peynet, the bronze statue of the "Lovers" by Eros Pellini, the steel Storks by Mastroianni and also the mail box of the contest "the most beautiful love letters for February 14th, Valentine's Day", which is yearly filled with letters and love poems from all over Europe.
The "Gut" Budello
This is the old alley that runs through the entire city, parallel to the coast.
On both sides of the characteristic pedestrian precinct we can find the best boutiques in Western Liguria: from the latest designer labels, to the most precious antiquities, gourmet shops or places where you can taste the traditional or local delicacies.
The Church of Santa Croce
A Romanic church, founded by the Benedictine monks of Gallinara in the eleventh century. Additions were made in the sixteenth and fifteenth centuries. From the belvedere of the annexed park you can enjoy the incomparable view of the bay of the sun.
Sanctuary of Lady of the Guard
The sanctuary is located on Mount Tirasso and was built in 1200, thanks to the good will of the sailors in Alassio. The current building dating back to the seventeenth century is surrounded by a park of 18,000 square metres.
The Church of St. Ambrose
Built in the second half of the fifteenth century over the area already occupied by a tenth century church, St. Ambrose Parish dates back to 1507.
The Romanic style that characterized it from the beginning was converted into baroque style in the early eighteenth century.
On the contrary the bell tower dates back to the fourteenth century, while the Renaissance façade, with its pitched roofs, was superimposed in 1896. The interior of the church is covered by frescoes of Genoese painters of the sixteenth and seventeenth century.
The marina and the small chapel memorial to the lost at sea
The harbour of Alassio was made in the fifties from a natural inlet, with a characteristic chapel built in 1929 in memory of the lost at sea.
The tower was built in the year '500, when the coral fishermen sheltered from the Corsairs, Moors, Saracens and the cruel Barbarians.
Via Julia Augusta
Built in 13 BC by Emperor Augustus in order to connect Rome to southern Gaul, Via Julia Augusta in its beautiful stretch between Alassio and Albenga is a historical, archaeological, natural and probably the most romantic spot in Liguria. It is very easy to cross, and a pleasure for the five senses, with its colours and typical odours of Mediterranean flora.
Starting from Alassio, the 4 kilometre path leading from St. Croce church offers an extraordinary view, which ends with the impressive St. Martin complex.
In some places the road is still the one originally built and you can see the ruins of some Roman buildings and monumental tombs dating back to the end of the first century AD
The Island Gallinara
It is one of the most beautiful places to visit and is visible from any point of Alassio. Privately owned and partly belonging to the municipality of Albenga, it is about 1.5 km off the coast.
It is a protected area because of the untouched natural environment, with botanical and zoological endemic species. The surrounding depths, of great natural interest, have yielded many archaeological findings from the Roman and Medieval Age.
The name Gallinara or Gallinaria probably originates from the conspicuous presence of wild hens.
It also became the home of a community of monks, most likely of eastern observance or related to the monasteries of Provence, who then moved on to the Order of the Benedictines.